Tuesday, February 5, 2013

@AsyncToExecutorService


When I first discovered Spring's @Async annotation, I thought it was a great idea. Slap an annotation on a method, and that method would be turned into a task on a work queue serviced by a different thread. A large number of tasks in a web server can be done asynchronously with respect to the incoming request, which means you can respond more quickly to your user. (These days, I'd write a system around events and ignore threads, but that's not the environment I'm in.)

But after a couple of months of using @Async, I found it annoying. It's applied with Spring AOP, which means it can only be applied to public methods on top-level beans and won't take effect on intra-object methods. It also seemed to inevitably cause circular dependency issues. And, perhaps most annoying, all @Async methods go into a single work queue. Together. With no priority, no distinct properties for different kinds of jobs, no control.

While this last issue has been dealt with in Spring 3.2, that's not what I'm using (though support for Servlet 3.0's asynchronous requests is a tempting carrot). And it still has the Spring AOP limitations.

I moved us off of Spring AOP a few months back in favor of straight AspectJ, which has been invaluable. We can declare control-flow pointcuts, pointcuts on private methods, and more. And during that migration I read AspectJ in Action, which features an example that basically does the same thing as the @Async annotation.

So what if I just rolled my own asynchronous execution aspect that allowed me to specify a thread pool to receive the work?

On a quiet morning, I did just that. I started with the example in the book, and then added a couple of my own twists. My @AsyncToExecutorService takes the name of a Spring bean that is an ExecutorService, and routes the join point to it within a Runnable. If you specify an invalid bean name, it throws a runtime exception. I also added some flags so you could declare that you need to run under the aegis of Spring's @Transactional annotation and whether you could be pointed to a read slave.

While Spring's XML files can get a bit wordy, it's also handy to be able to construct a large range of objects directly from that XML. When I want to define a new thread pool, I do it completely in the XML. I also set up our metrics system to automatically grab any ExecutorService beans on startup and record metrics about their current queue size and active threads so that the thread pools could be easily monitored.

I did the work because I needed it for a performance improvement, but I've yet to check in that optimization and have already heavily leveraged my new annotation into several other areas. My current favorite is a thread pool designed to discard tasks when its backing queue fills up. Non-critical tasks go into this queue and, if we're under load, they just start getting tossed. It's a built-in safety valve.

1 comment:

  1. any chance you can post your code to take a look?

    ReplyDelete