Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dynamic Feature Disabling

Often, when I'm rolling out a new, substantial feature, I add a config file property that marks it as enabled or disabled. This lets the team shut it down quickly if it's causing problems. It's a good practice, overall.

Keeping the status in a config file is easy to maintain, but it's problematic. Being able to "switch off" a feature in a config file really means, for most Java deployments, rebuilding and redeploying the war file, which can take a while if you're including a bunch of big libraries.

Recently, inspired by two pieces I read about how disabling features helps scale a site and mitigate risk, I came up with an enhancement to my older idea, and it's one of those brain-dead-obvious changes that I wish I had done before: A feature's enabled or disabled status now lives in the database.

I have a simple table (with Hibernate object and service) that stores a feature name, its current enabled status, and the date on which that status changed. Any other service or controller in the system can query that service to see if a given feature is enabled. (Since I run in the Spring framework, access to the service is a simple matter.)

What that means practically is that I can disable an entire subsystem across all instances of my application simply by updating a database row. (In the live system, these will probably be cached and refreshed every few minutes so that incoming requests aren't slowed down.) It also means I can get the status of the systems across an entire bank of servers with a simple query.

I put it in as groundwork for one feature — capturing real incoming traffic to a site to then play back as loadtesting scripts — but quickly back-ported a few other systems that have single points of entry. Our profiling system, for instance, can now be turned off application-wide simply by setting the enabled status of "Profiling" to false.

Of course, once you have subsystems that have a dynamic mechanism for checking their enabled/disabled status, it's a small step to enabling/disabling on a per-user basis. Which means we can gradually roll out new features, checking the load on the system at each pass and fixing bugs.

It's not an earth-shattering idea, but I was immediately entranced by the power it gives to my system.

1 comment:

  1. I like using the database for config data. I work on large apps with a huge amount of data. All the backups revolve around ensuring that the database is backed up. This takes so much energy that other backups get shorted. Keeping everything in the database ensures that everything is backed up. Very simple for all involved. The alternative would be crazy lists of seemingly random config files from random servers that need to be constantly maintained in backup lists.

    ReplyDelete